Allernet > Newsletter > Any Questions?

Nickel Allergy

I was diagnosed as allergic to nickel. Can you please let me have more information on this allergy. The allergy is on my face. Must I restrict my diet? How about contact with metallic items ? Is there a cure for this kind of allergy?

Thank you.

Thanks for asking about sensitivity to nickel.

Nickel allergy is usually due to contact with this metal substance. It occurs on the face most often when nail polishes come into contact with the face as many shiny polishes contain nickel. The immune reaction to nickel is not immediate, but takes several days to occur. This makes it a bit difficult to diagnose the problem.

Also, nickel is in many jewelry articles.

Avoidance is the treatment of choice. You need to become a detective and read labels and ask questions to make certain that nickel does not contact your skin. There is no cure.

When the rash due to nickel induced contact dermatitis is bad enough, doctors will prescribe topical creams or ointments that contain steroids in order to reduce the inflammation and swelling in the skin.

I hope this information is useful to you. Be certain to ask your doctor what is best for you.

Good luck.

Steve Kagen,. M.D.
Allernet.com